SELF PROMOTION TIME!
Did you notice a new button on my sidebar? My Dresser Turned Bookshelf
Now, onto that chair…….
About three months ago, I finally began the slipcover with the help of the Video Tutorials at Miss Mustard Seed’s Slipcover Tutorials, which I might add are amazingly helpful.
With Christmas day and Christmas break fast approaching, (and a whole other list of DIY projects that need to be done, looming on my calendar), I promised myself it would be finished by Thursday before Christmas. My machine was already on it’s deathbed. Having been purchased for about $100 about 20 years ago…..All was going well, I had about 15 minutes left of work, and suddenly the needle dropped out of its place and into the machine, causing sudden and immediate death of my sewing machine.
Did I just laugh it off and say “Oh bien, cela est la vie!” NON!!!
I actually started to cry. Suffering husband took pity on me, revealed I was receiving a new sewing machine for Christmas and brought the present to me.
Sew….(hee hee), 15 minutes later I was sewing again. It was like going from an old ugly Gremlin (if you are old enough to remember this car, I knew a kid in High School that had one of these) to a very reliable and smooth sailing Honda.
Voila!!! Il est fini !
For the Project: I tried to only use things I already had on hand. I had a bolt of White Duck Fabric purchased years ago for another project (never gonna happen).
First thing to do when doing a slipcover, make the welting (the piping that adds detail to the lines of the piece). This is not difficult, just a little time consuming. Check Miss Mustard Seed tutorial on piping for the how to. I save all my fabric scraps, and wanted a funky look to the chair. I used all my scraps with red, pink or hot pink in them. This is how the piping looked, once the chair was finished:
It is by no means a professional job, but I am pretty pleased with the final result. And my daughter is LOVING it.
Linking with these lovely blogs: