Dumped Dresser – Don’t be a Stressor
Have you come across a dumped Dresser? One that is missing some or all of its drawers? It can be a chore, to replace all those drawers! Often I will sigh, at the shortsightedness of the guy (or gal) that heave hoed the dresser to its fate, often through a dumpster gate. Not knowing, it could become this!
If you have hung out here for a while, you can read on with a smile. I saved one more from the land fill and it gave me a thrill. I found this sad gal one morning while everyone was still snoring. Lonely it sat there, all by itself. It really had no idea it could be turned into a shelf.
I am sharing some of the details of how I pulled out the entrails (of the dresser where the drawers were supposed to go). Like the Bionic Man, it is now better, stronger, will last longer. (But not faster)……..
Using a Mallet, I knocked out the drawer runners and just the middle drawer. It was pretty flimsy, like glorified cardboard, so it came out very easily.
The back was in bad shape too. Someone had strategically poked large holes in it. I removed it, placed painters tape over the back side of the holes and filled with spackling. Great way to fill drawer pull holes too! Thank you Catherine from Freddy and Petunia for that tip!
If you are deconstructing a dresser or bookshelf, I highly recommend removing the back. It makes it much easier to be able to work from both sides on the inside!
I measured the inside length and width of where I needed to replace the wood. The supports for the cardboard drawer holders were still intact. I cut pieces of wood to fit the inside, then used my jigsaw to cut away the little part in the middle where the middle support of the dresser ran down.
Due to the construction of the “bones” of the dresser, there was about an inch gap on either end where the new shelf sat. Instead of trying to make my cuts perfect to fit around the interior structure, I used the old drawer railings to fill in. These things come in handy, don’t throw them out!
After I had the shelves cut, I was able to base coat everything in one of my favorite CeCe Caldwell’s colors. Omaha Ochre. A gorgeous gold neutral. When this dried, I put the shelves back in, put the back on, and proceeded with the fun part. I did a color blend of two CeCe Caldwell’s colors on the exterior. Alaska Tundra Green and California Gold. I randomly painted patches of both colors, then used a water dipped large Purdy brush to “blend” the colors together.
Once the paint was dry, I set about “burninshing” it. I do this by going over the paint with a 320 or 400 grit sandpaper. This sands off the rough excess and leaves a super smooth, almost silky finish. I use a large Chip brush, to “dust” off the paint dust as I go.
Something unique about CeCe Caldwell’s paints is that it is not only chalk based, but has two kinds of clay. Not only does the Clay makes it more durable and adhesive, (remember, there is no acrylic in this paint)! The two types of clay give the paint a variegated color. Like a fine silk or linen. “Burnishing” the paint really brings this gorgeous color to the surface. I sealed the entire piece in 100% natural CeCe Caldwell’s Clear wax for a gorgeous shine.
I purchased some baskets that were perfect for the spaces from Michael’s (on clearance!). I painted them in California Gold to blend with the overall look of the piece.
The dresser turned shelving took a ride to Paris Flea Market with me last week where it will be for sale next weekend, April 4th-7th. This piece can easily be used for a variety of things. It can be converted to a media storage unit by removing the back, or even cutting through the Back Board.
It liked hanging around outside as well…..
We had a lovely time together, the dresser and I. I hope it goes on to a new home where it can live on in it’s lovely new transformation.
If you would like to see more dresser conversions. (Frankenfurniture),they are easy top spot in my Project Gallery, “Le Junque Makeovers”